Machine Operator Full Time Southington, Connecticut
Machine Operator (1st and 2nd shift)
We are looking for an experienced, detail-oriented, and energetic Machine Operators. This position keeps production operational and will be crossed trained to work in multiple positions such as Production Assistants, Edging & Slitting Machine Operators, Oscillating, and Forklift Operators. Must be a team player. Working knowledge of metalworking equipment is preferred.
Gibbs Interwire Metals provides employees with outstanding benefits and generous bonus programs, including two (2) medical insurance plan options, company paid short-term disability and long-term disability, company-paid life insurance, and a retirement plan that is funded by the company with an additional option for employee contributions. The company has also been awarding employees with holiday bonuses, quarterly bonuses, and year-end bonuses. Bonuses are awarded at the discretion of the company and are based upon company performance and profitability.
1st shift Monday – Thursday 6:00 am – 2:15 p.m., and Friday from 6:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Occasional weekends and overtime may be required.
2nd shift – Monday – Thursday 2:15 p.m. – 10:30 p.m., and Friday from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Occasional weekends and overtime may be required.
- Ensures product produced meets quality standards by conducting QC testing, documenting results and correcting process or material issues when defects are identified. Visually inspects for excess wave and snake. If excessive, must notify the Foreman.
- Accurately loads material and meticulously monitors machine’s process and finished product.
- Properly and timely starts/restarts/stops machines, and removes roll and scrap.
- Follows procedures for daily and weekly machine inspection, preventative maintenance, and cleaning and brings to the attention of the Foreman any items that may need to be fixed or looked at.
- Ability to correctly troubleshoot machines. Correctly and timely identify the root cause and makes necessary corrections for problems.
- Properly completes production paperwork and utilize a barcoding system. Maintains accurate logbooks and other administrative duties. Must have a basic understanding of computers.
- Reviews and follows shipping order instructions and specifications.
- Accurately communicates shift change information.
- Gibbs Interwire Metals promotes a safety first culture. Employees are required to practice safe work habits and follow safety procedures such as proper lifting and bending, proper use of equipment and use of personal protection equipment (PPE).
- Steel toe shoes, protective gloves and safety glasses are required.
- May be forklift certified.
- Practices good housekeeping including a clutter-free work area and general cleaning.
- Ensures lock-out tag-out procedures are followed any time the equipment is being cleaned or maintained.
- Work from written specifications and verbal instructions
- Maintains a good attendance record
- Generally willing to work overtime
- Ability to work effectively with all other employees
- Must have good communication skills
- Be open to learn about lean manufacturing
- Strong organizational skills
- A positive attitude
- The capacity and desire to learn
- The ability to pass both a pre employment background and drug screening
Knowledge, Skill and Ability Requirements
- Education and/or experience – High School degree or equivalent. Prior experience or training in a related field or manufacturing environment preferred.
- Language – Must be able to take direction and communicate in Basic English as well as read and understand written documents.
- Math – Must be able to use and understand simple mathematics, using addition, subtraction, fractions and decimals. Knowledge of the Standard/Imperial measuring system is required and knowledge of the metric system is a plus.
- Understanding and use of basic measuring instruments required; micrometers, digital calipers, tape measure is required.
N = Never
O = Occasional 1-33% of time
F = Frequent 34-66% of time
C = Constant 67-100% of time
|10 or less||X||BEND||X|