Flat Wire is available in stainless steels, specialty metals, and carbon steel, in small to truckload quantities. Our flat wire is available in the traditional natural round edge or square edge. We also have the capability of providing broken corner and controlled radius edges when required. Flat wire is generally defined as a thickness to width ratio of up to 30-1 depending on grade.
Flat wire products start as round wire and are rolled on usually tandem rolling mill or die drawn through a series of shaped wire dies to size. Our flat wire is offered for those applications where strip is not the best option due to edge and other physical or mechanical property requirements. Our ability to provide flat wire to tight tolerances, burr free, few or no welds, continuous coil, reel or precision cut lengths provides the manufacturer with longer runs and less secondary operations.
Flat Wire Features and Benefits
- Narrow Widths With Controlled Camber
- Burr Free Edges
- ISO Certified, SAE, AMS, ASTM, UNS, EN, and more
- Continuous Coil With Fewer Welds Than Traditional Strip Coil
- Also Available In Precision Cut Lengths
- Close Dimensional Tolerances and Consistent Properties
- Custom Edges: Natural Round, Full Round, Broken Corner, Square, and Controlled Radius
Flat Wire Alloys
- Stainless Steel Flat Wire: 301, 302, 304/304L, 304V, 316L, 410, 416, 420, 17-7PH, and more!
- Nickel Alloy Flat Wire: Monel 400, Monel 405, Inconel 600, Inconel 625, X750, and more!
- Carbon Steel Flat Wire: Music Wire, Galvanized Wire, HDMB, OTMB, Chrome Silicon, Chrome Vanadium, C1006 low Carbon to C1080 high carbon and more!
- Red Metals including Beryllium Copper and Phos Bronze
Flat Wire Size Range
Low Carbon Steels
- Thickness: .010″-.530”
- Width: .020”-2.00”
- 15-to 1 ratio up to .300”
- 21 to 1 ratio and up from .090” thick to 2.00” wide
High Carbon Steels and Chrome silicon Flat and Shaped wire size range
- Thickness: .010-.325”
- Width: .035” – .750”
- 15 to 1 ratio up to .300” wide
- 10 to 1 ratio over .300” to .750” wide
Stainless Steel & Alloys
Flat Wire and Shaped Wire Packaging Options
- Coil weights from 5 lbs. to 5,500 lbs.
- Coil I.D’s from 12″ to 66″
- Spools as small as 5 lbs.
- Reels Up To 1000 lbs.
Flat Wire Applications & End Uses
- Regulator Springs
- Automotive applications
- Industrial Springs
- Car Seat Border Springs
- Conveyor Belt Fasteners
- Key Rings
- Saw Blade Wire
- Window Mechanisms
Ask the Flat Wire Expert
Have questions about our Flat Wire products? Contact our in-house expert today.
Please fill out information below and click “Submit Quote Request”